DON'T MIND YOUR WIFE CHOP BAR

https://www.facebook.com/mansa.quainoo
The tang of the just- now -made palm nut soup, jam-packed with escargots, crabs, smoked tuna, smoked mackerel, smoked herrings and koobi infused through the windows to tinkle my nostrils heedless.   The wooden fufu mortar and the wooden pestle were making rhythmic melody. The blue and white painted wooden structure has a cemented floor, neatly arranged old looking tables and stools. Polyester hemmed with lace curtains drooped sloppily on the four windows of the structure. A table chock-full with alcoholic beverages and different shades of glasses is placed at the extreme right corner of the room.  Rapturous voices of men can be heard from the room.  A friendly looking woman clad in batik tie and dye dress courteously greeted me and asked if she could be of help. I told her I saw the lettering “DON’T MIND YOUR WIFE CHOP BAR” and that’s why I came in. “Madam, you are welcome. My name is Comfort Afi Hopson but my clients call me MADAM DON’T MIND. We sell banku, omo tuo, kokonte and tuo zaafi. We also sell fufu which goes with light soup, groundnut soup or kontomire soup. Look at the faces of my clients here, see how happy they are. My clients are men who don’t get suitable home cooked food like mine in their houses so they opt for my chop bar. I advantageously chose the name DON’T MIND YOUR WIFE CHOP BAR because I want my clients to forget about the not so delightful cooking done by their wives or girlfriends in their homes and come and eat at my chop bar. I have been doing this business for the past twenty-five years and it is very lucrative”. Madam Don’t Mind asked her waitress to serve me one of their specialties. I must say, it was lip-smacking and no wonder the tag DON’T MIND YOUR WIFE CHOP BAR.
We Ghanaians have been branding or naming our products, goods and services since time immemorial. Our brand names are catchy and atypical. Inscriptions like GOD WILL PUNISH MY ENEMIES PROVISION STORE, GOOD MASTER, INSHA ALLAHU, EXODUS 14:14, GOOD WIFE, WHO KNOWS TOMORROW, JUDGEMENT DAY, GIRLS GILRS FRIED RICE, NO WEAPON, BRO. YAW MENSAH- THE DOG FADDA, FIRE WILL BURN MY HATERS DRUG STORE, DZIGBORDZI SALON, MY TIME WILL COME CHOP BAR, NYAME YE ODO CHOP , BROTHER KWESI FRIED RICE, BARIMA NKWAN CHOP BAR ,LAST PARTY BLUE KIOSK, I SHALL RETURN VILLA, NAA ATSWEI(1889-1978) VILLA, CASSANOVA DRINKING SPOT, TRAVEL AND SEE SUPERMARKET, MY DESTINY IS IN THE HANDS OF GOD SALON,  LET THEM SAY DRINKING SPOT, MY REDEEMER LIVETH, THE GOODFATHER and the host of others can be found on shops, kiosks, salons, chop bars, fried rice joints, drinking spots, vehicles, houses etc. 
Anytime you see a shop, kiosk, salon, chop bar, fried rice joint, drinking spot, vehicle, or house in Ghana with inscription on it, don’t hesitate to ask the owner what it means. It will definitely have a story, idea or even history behind it.






Deli.ciouzly Yours
Akosua

Comments