GHANA MAN AND PETTY TRICKS. EPISODE 2



LARWEH AND THE WROUGHT IRON COUCH


It’s been over a year now and I haven’t received a call, text message or just a flash from Larweh. Assertively, I can now claim the rattan and wrought iron infused couch is mine. Where do I begin my story dear reader? After working tirelessly seeking for funds and sponsorship for a project that I wasn’t heavily paid (the thank you was more than the pay), I decided not to blow the money on shoes and dresses but rather do something unforgettable.  

I dashed to Larweh’s workshop which is sited at Dzorwulu junction, along the Walker Bush motorway to order for wrought iron couch. To keep you updated, this wasn’t the first time I have asked Laweh to do some furniture for me.  All the expenses were paid in full to him and he told me to pick my couch the subsequent week.

When the schedule time was due, I called Larweh to inform him that I am on my way to pick my order but he pleaded with me to extend the time which I gracefully did.  Weeks turned into months and later into years. Larweh kept throwing me around. Any attempt to reach him proved futile. He wasn’t picking my calls and he wasn’t at his workshop any time I went there.

 I didn’t want to involve the police in the matter; then again, the crook was playing with my intelligence. I hopped into Lapaz bound troski one hot afternoon with two white boiled eggs and an old schnapps bottle filled with water to Larweh’s workshop. Luckily, he had reported to work when I walked in and with high-raised voice filled with ire blasted Laweh without pity. I pulled out the boiled eggs and fake schnapps and threatened him “Laweh, you don’t know who you are messing with. Accra is big but if you don’t take your time, you can’t fit in here. I have come to caution you. My grand uncle is the chief fetish priest at Nananompow.  Laweh, which of these do you want- madness or death.” At this point, Larweh was shuddering and begging.  A man in his sixties who work with Larweh pleaded on his behalf and promised me to pass by the following week to pick up my couch.

 On my way out, I was exultant; the orthodox approach has worked perfectly.  As soon as I sat in the troski, I ate the eggs. For your information, the threats I issued out to Larweh were untrue. I don’t have any grand uncle who is chief fetish priest. And who told you Larweh will be moved by my threats, calls and occasionally visit to his work place to demand for my work? I didn’t hear from Larweh again.

It was almost two years and I have written Laweh off until unpredictably I paid a visit to his workshop. When I got there, he was selling a rattan and wrought iron infused couch. I didn’t say much.  I only stopped an Opel Caravan taxi and put the rattan and wrought iron infused couch into it. At this point Larweh was pleading hard for me not take the couch home but my mind was made up. Actually, the couch that I grabbed was expensive than what I ordered. I made him a proposition to bring my original order and come for the one I am taking home.

 I covered up the couch, anticipating that Larweh will come for the expensive couch that I took but it’s been over a year now so he hasn’t showed up so I have started using it.

Folks, it’s funny how our paths sometimes cross certain people who just abuse our trust and play with our intelligence. If you want to order anything from these artisans, please don’t pay them in full. Give them half payment, when they deliver your work or order, you complete the payment.
Ghana man and petty tricks!



Yours Truly

Akosua Deli.ciouz

Comments

Feel free to share your little Ghanaman and tricks experience on this blog!!!
Anonymous said…
Very well, Akosua! Consice,briefly and clearly written. Proud of you and thanks for the advise.

Sharon
Dear Sharon, thank you very much for sweet words.