HOW DO YOU SAVE NAMES ON YOUR PHONE?




“Linda, please call my phone.” That was Mr. Seidu Imoro looking for his phone in swish office. I paid him a visit deliberately to get his endorsement on an application form that I was filling. His not-so -new - and –not -so -modern phone started buzzing as soon as I called. It was wedged under some piled up dossiers. Whereas retrieving the phone, I took a cursory look on the screen. Missed Call Linda 69! Mr. Imoro had saved my name on his phone as Linda 69 since we became friends in 2005. Graciously, I quizzed why had saved my name as Linda 69 and not modestly Linda. “You know my dear, I have a lot of Lindas on my phone and for me not to be confused with any of them, I stored yours like that”. In fact, I didn’t know what to say to my elderly well-read friend. The words that came out of my mouth to him were simple. Are all the Lindas on your phone up to 69? Why 69 of all the numbers in the world Mr. Imoro? And he retorted mischievously “69 is easy to remember Linda”.
Aside Mr. Imoro, I have had chance to see my name saved on phones of some of my friends and acquaintances.  I have seen Linda Drama (saved after a course I read at the university), Linda Mando Broni (hometown white lady), Linda Pivoine (saved after my company) Linda Haatso Waakye (saved after a popular waakye joint where we met) and you imagine the rest.

Nevertheless, I also have nonconforming ways of storing names on my phone and I am sure you do too. Let me confess to you on how I used to save the name of my on-again-off-again ex-beau on my phone. By the way, I christened him Laimomo (old flame). So when Laimomo was all honeyed and cuddly, I will save his phone name as Lollipop or Dark Chocolate, or Waapi or Alewa Red and White. Romantic me! But then again when Laimomo was horrendous and he  was giving me catch –me- if –you- can blues, I will swiftly change and save his name as Ahomka Ginger (a toffee made with ginger, black pepper and other spices etc.) or simply Kpakpo Shito (hot pepper sauce). 

Eddie is a computer technician and a colleague at work.  Correspondingly, he is a connoisseur of women and he sings his own praises all the time. Eddie met Yaa Korankyewa at church service. It started as Sister-and- Brother- in -Christ friendship until they started experimenting vigorously in bed. As a cardinal rule, Eddie will let all his women cognizant that he has wife whom he loves and treasures. A call came through one afternoon when Eddie was bathing so his wife viscerally picked it. “Hello. Good Afternoon. Can I speak to Eddie please?” Eddie’s wife was taken aback. She asked the caller her name and politely she gave it out as Yaa Korankyewa. The enraged wife of Eddie blurted out at Yaa. “I hope you are not one of my husband’s bed warmers because if you care to know, Eddie has saved your name as Yaw Korankye and I am staggered as you turned out to be a lady.” Wow! From Yaa Korankyewa to Yaw Korankye! What a nifty modification! Straightaway, Yaa died out on the phone. 

Diane the serial dater saves the names of all her men in a very peculiar way. When you pick her phone, you will find names saved as Dr. Chimpanzee (meaning he is not handsome), Papa Dough (the banker), Mr. Club, (they met at a night club), I Go Chop Your Money (the name speaks for itself), Mr. Ticket (he buys all the tickets for all the events on the Ghana entertainment calendar), Don’t Pick(it means she is done with him), Fresh Boy(her latest catch) Paul Facebook (obviously she met him on Facebook) and host of others. Don’t be surprised if I tell you she has names saved as _ (underscore), () (bracket). (dot), $, *, £, Hash Tag and Esc on her phone.
We all save names on our phones in such a way that we can easily remember them. You choose exactly the way you want the names to appear on your screen. If it is not too much to ask of you, please do demand from your friends and loved ones how they have saved your name on their phones and write them in the comment box below.
Love you all.


 Deli.ciouzly Yours
Akosua

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are Mansa on mine so how is mine stored on yours?
Your comment came as anonymous so It will be difficult to tell you. But if you can tell me your name, I will tell you how I have saved yours.
Anonymous said…
laughed so hard when i read this. coincidentally i also have two 'do not answer' in my phone book, my reasons are quiete different from the one in your blog, gal there r some calls that you just cant answer...reminds me of that ring tone ...an idiot is calling. hahahaha. i guess we save names on our phones to make it easy to remember, i have 37 mech, shoes man 1, akos mugs, akos work, akos? etc etc. as for the man who has u as 69, girl watch out cos that sounds so dodgy. but all in all, fantastic piece as always. nuf respect
Thank you gurl. I have about three dont pick on my phone. These are people that you dont want pick their calls so they use different numbers to call so I have to save all dont pick. Much love!
Anonymous said…
Akosua, oh my ribs! You have the funniest bones ever. Damn girl you are so creative!

Mona
Kodzo said…
As always, great sense of humour. :-)